Thursday 14 January 2010

Back on the diet

I reckon I’m pretty much attuned to the basics of the Pagano diet now. I found it very time consuming following many of the recipes in the accompanying recipe book and with time even more of a luxury this year, I’m keeping things simple. Back on the strict diet for 10 days, I’m settling into a pattern.

Breakfast – 40g porridge, 325ml soya milk (sweetened with apple juice), teaspoon of honey and a handful of raisins. Yummy. That’s about half the amount I was eating before the New Year.

Lunch – Either 3 ladles of soup, a small salad and perhaps some spelt bread.
Or a large salad consisting of romaine lettuce, rocket, and a variety from spring onions, red onion, carrot, sweetcorn, etc.

Dinner – 3 days a week fish and lots of green veg and maybe some salad.
2 days a week ½ chicken breast and lots of green veg and maybe some salad. Sometimes I might have some boiled sweet potatoes.
2 days a week a vegetarian dish of my choice from the Pagano recipe book.

I dress salads with a mix of 1 tbl apple cider vinegar with 3 tbl olive oil. As I have psoriatic arthritis, I need to be careful with citrus so I avoid lemon in my dressings.

Snacks – fruit (fresh and driet). I need to be careful with the dried fruit. I love raisins, dates and prunes and can easily let the nibbling spiral out of control. I’ll have a handful of almonds but generally knocking nuts on the head for the first 3-6 months.

I’m drinking about 3 litres of tap water each day and that is all. No tea, coffee, juices, alcohol at least for the first 3 months.

No smoking. I stopped smoking 10 years ago but have allowed myself the occasional smoke. That’s finished too.

Last year after 3months of strict diet, I allowed myself 1 day a month where I ate what I wanted within reason. I’ll probably do that again but only after I see the improvements I saw last year.

This way I keep it straightforward. It was too easy last year to let other ingredients slip into the mix. For instance, I would end up throwing copious amounts of Tamari Soy sauce into my recipes. I’m not sure whether this was a problem, but generally I think you need to be moderate with all of your ingredients. That’s something I struggle with so it makes sense to keep things simple. I also let things like vegetable spread slip into my diet in increasing amounts along with wholewheat bread. This time I’m strict for 3-6 months at least.

3 comments:

  1. This is a good diet. To cure psoriasis, it should requires a healthy lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psoriasin skin disease is not easy to cure. Thank you for sharing such informative post. Everyone can be informed about how to treat psoriasis effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lemons are acidic in nature but once they are put in the body they are very alkaline forming. Lemons are one of the best things to add to your diet when trying to get rid of psoriasis

    ReplyDelete